MY CITY: SALINA, ITALY
NAME: ØIVIND JOHANNESSEN
Why I visit Salina:
– Astonishingly beautiful and extremely varied. This is my perfect place to relax and enjoy life. Few places are as unique as this island with black beaches, the smouldering volcanoes, and blue, clear sea. It is Sicily’s best kept treasure. The hospitality, the food and the fantastic scenery meet me when arriving Salina for holiday.
My first memory:
Hospitality and generosity. We usually stay at Mamma Santina, a small family run hotel. The owner Mario and his staff do what they can to make our holiday as comfortable as possible.
-Real fresh fish locally caught seafood catch in the early morning and served at restaurant Mamma Santina. The Chef creates typical Sicilian dishes prepared as they did long time ago.
My favourite place to eat:
– Varied and outstanding food and local wine at Mamma Santina. The view from this restaurant is spectacular. In the evening we can watch lava flowing into the nearby island Stromboli, which has Europe’s most active volcano. https://www.mammasantina.it/
What do you eat there?
-Seafood, pasta and other local delicacies.
Out for a drink:
My favourite bar:
-I have many on this island
My best advice:
-Turn off your mobile phone!
My favourite shop:
-They are all in London.
My best buy:
– Helicopter ride over The Aeolian Islands. The archipelago consists of seven inhabited islands and some small uninhabited outside Sicily’s north east coast.
Taxi or other transportation?
– Taxi, pick up / shuttle service.
Keep away of:
-Your mobile phone when on Salina.
Your worst vacation memory?
-I don’t have any.
– First dog racing in the north of Norway, then probably Italy next summer.